Oh, give me a break! 5

JISHOU, HUNAN — The Muslim haters in the USA are now up in arms about Campbell’s marketing soups that are halal — halal is to Muslims what kosher is to Jews.

They believe that the evul Mooslims have infiltrated Campbell’s (and Kellogg’s, it seems) to sell halal food in preparation for some imagined large scale Mooslim takeover of the US of A.

Raving lunatic Pamela Geller (of anti-“megamosque” at “Ground Zero” fame) is encouraging a boycott of Campbell’s. Considering she has maybe 100 or so loyal followers — and that’s being generous — I doubt Campbell’s will much care.

Apparently, in their conspiracy-plagued minds, Geller, Robert Spencer and other wackjobs, if you connect the dots, somehow offering halal foods to American shoppers somehow translates into aiding and abetting terrorists and an Islamic takeover of the US legal system.

I buy halal hotdogs in my local supermarket here in Jishou, mostly to avoid eating yet more pork. (They are labeled “Muslim food,” so maybe they are not officially halal.) So, if we follow the “logic” of Geller, et alia, Jishou will soon be a satellite state of the Taliban, or something.

How long has kosher food been sold in the USA? As a wild guess, I’d say at least a century. Last I checked, the US has not yet become another Jewish state. Although as the on-air rants of former CNN anchor Rick Sanchez demonstrates, some people would say the verdict is still out on that possibility.

When Hebrew National and Manichevitz start selling halal hot dogs and Passover wine, THEN I will worry.

Possibly Related Posts:

5 thoughts on “Oh, give me a break!

1. Reply James Timothy Richardson Oct 10,2010 12:00 am

I don't have a problem with someone who subscribes to Islam. I do have a problem with any society that disenfranchises​ half its population, and relegates it to being chattel property. If Campbells wants to offer halal soups, fine. I will probably eat them at times. The person you are writing about is pathetic.

2. Reply Margaret Redmon Oct 10,2010 5:54 am

I agree wholeheartedly with you. My Muslim friends have a great deal of trouble finding halal products. These people are peace makers in the true sense and just want to follow their religious dietary laws. Of course, with the focus of "Christian" fundamentalism on the Old Testament, the complainers should be eating Kosher. Jesus rejected the proselytizing of the Pharisees on the street corners, and rejected the Old Testament in it's entirety, saying that true virtue was simply the Golden Rule. My copy of that doesn't say "unless you are of another nationality or religion". Its entirety is "DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU"!

3. Reply James Timothy Richardson Oct 10,2010 10:50 am

I don't have a problem with someone who subscribes to Islam. I do have a problem with any society that disenfranchises half its population, and relegates it to being chattel property. If Campbells wants to offer halal soups, fine. I will probably eat them at times. The person you are writing about is pathetic.

4. Reply Margaret Redmon Oct 10,2010 10:56 am

I agree with you, also Timothy. My Muslim friends tell me that the enslavement of women is actually contrary to Mohammad's writings. He gave women the right to own and operate businesses for the first time. It was supposed to emancipate them. The situation is rather like the Bible, where Jesus was trying to get people past the idea that some were better than others, because of race, birth cast or gender, and then Paul came along and worked tirelessly to undo it all. There were others who undermined Mohammed's efforts in the same way.

5. Reply eljefe Oct 11,2010 2:26 am

These comments came from my Facebook profile.

Margaret Redmon 10/10/10 4:54 am
    I agree wholeheartedly with you. My Muslim friends have a great deal of trouble finding halal products. These people are peace makers in the true sense and just want to follow their religious dietary laws. Of course, with the focus of “Chri…stian” fundamentalism on the Old Testament, the complainers should be eating Kosher. Jesus rejected the proselytizing of the Pharisees on the street corners, and rejected the Old Testament in it’s entirety, saying that true virtue was simply the Golden Rule. My copy of that doesn’t say “unless you are of another nationality or religion”. Its entirety is “DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU”!

James Timothy Richardson 10/10/10 9:50 am
    I don’t have a problem with someone who subscribes to Islam. I do have a problem with any society that disenfranchises half its population, and relegates it to being chattel property. If Campbells wants to offer halal soups, fine. I will probably eat them at times. The person you are writing about is pathetic.

Margaret Redmon 10/10/10 9:56 am
    I agree with you, also Timothy. My Muslim friends tell me that the enslavement of women is actually contrary to Mohammad’s writings. He gave women the right to own and operate businesses for the first time. It was supposed to emancipate the…m. The situation is rather like the Bible, where Jesus was trying to get people past the idea that some were better than others, because of race, birth cast or gender, and then Paul came along and worked tirelessly to undo it all. There were others who undermined Mohammed’s efforts in the same way.