A foreigner visitor’s perspective of Kentucky 9

JISHOU, HUNAN — I have to confess, finding a travel article in a Hong Kong newspaper about Kentucky was a little weird. Most foreign visitors to the US hit the coasts, not the Great Midwest, much as tourists to China visit Tibet, Shanghai and Beijing, and skip everything in between.

For some reason, I always seem to end up living in the in-between parts, no matter where I live.

Anyway, the gist of the article in the South China Morning Post is that Kentucky is worth visiting to see the “real” America, whatever that means. The writer visited Bardstown, Lexington, Louisville, Mammoth Cave and parts in-between in a driving tour of the Bluegrass State.

Aside from using the dreaded pejorative, “hillbillies,” writer Tim Bryan pretty much nailed why Kentucky is such a good place to visit, or live, for that matter. He even mentions Ale-8-One. Damn. Now I miss the stuff.

Give it a read, especially if you’re from Kentuckiana. It’s refreshing to see how strangers view the Commonwealth.

Possibly Related Posts:

• No Related Posts

9 thoughts on “A foreigner visitor’s perspective of Kentucky

1. Reply Darcy Wheaton Nov 27,2010 4:37 am

pahahaha yes, we're all in the horse business! Except I don't think our family has a single tie ANYWHERE to the horse industry.

2. Reply Janice H Quinn Nov 27,2010 4:37 am

3. Reply Darcy Wheaton Nov 27,2010 4:38 am

but I do like the article overall

4. Reply Chris States Nov 28,2010 8:02 am

Being an "outsider" too, I think he summed up the Kentucky experience pretty well!

5. Reply eljefe Nov 28,2010 11:35 pm

Hey, I lived in Indiana, too! (Across the river from Louisville, so maybe that doesn’t really count.)

Thanks for the compliments and the encouragement, James. Sometimes I think the only people who visit here are my daughter and the people who read the feed on my Facebook page. Visit anytime. I also enjoy reading your comments at Dispatches.

Cheers!

6. Reply eljefe Nov 28,2010 11:45 pm

These comments are from my Facebook Notes, which I still have to import manually.

Darcy Wheaton wrote: “pahahaha yes, we’re all in the horse business! Except I don’t think our family has a single tie ANYWHERE to the horse industry.” (November 27, 2010)

Janice Quinn wrote: “It was a good sell for the area. It is pretty and people are helpful. It did read as a typical travel brochure.” (November 27, 2010)

Darcy wrote: “but I do like the article overall” (November 27, 2010)

Chris States wrote: “Being an “outsider” too, I think he summed up the Kentucky experience pretty well!” (November 28, 2010)

7. Reply James Hanley Nov 28,2010 11:08 pm

Kentucky is in the Midwest? This Hoosier objects to your perversion of American geography.

More seriously, though, I need to remember to come to your blog more often. It’s always interesting, and for some reason I only remember when I see one of your comments at Dispatches. Keep up the good work and I’ll try to be a more conscientious reader, because you always make me think.

8. Reply James Hanley Nov 29,2010 11:07 am

Well, I’d hate to tell you what we flatlanders up north think about southern Indiana. I’ll settle for saying it’s beautiful, and I absolutely love the land along the Ohio River–except for the summer humidity.

I do hope you learned how to pronounce Louisville correctly while you lived near there–I’m the only person I know north of the Ohio who says it right.