Second infliction of pain and suffering – culture test #2 6

JISHOU, HUNAN — We finished the unit on the ancient Romans with a test Friday. I made four versions, to minimize copying from neighbors (more about that some other time). Here’s one for you to test your knowledge of Western Culture.

WESTERN CULTURE AND CIVILIZATION
FALL 2010
TEST #2: The Romans (25 points)

IDENTIFICATIONS. Use a few words or a sentence to identify the following people, places or things. Be specific to get full credit! (1 point each)
1. Rome
2. Italy
3. Gaul
4. Julius Caesar
5. Octavian (Augustus Caesar)
6. Constantine I
7. Constantinople
8. The Senate
9. plebeians
10. patricians

DISCUSSION. Answer the following with at least two or three sentences. Some questions may require more explanation. (3 points each) (Use the other side of the paper if needed.)
11. What were the three main periods of Roman history? Please give approximate dates for each period.

12. What was the basic structure of the government of the Roman Republic? How was governmental power shared by those in control of the Republic?

13. The Romans “copied” some aspects of Greek culture. Name three Greek creations that the Romans basically imitated (and preserved).

14. The Romans were also innovators – they created new things for later civilizations in Europe to copy. Name three innovations of the Romans.

15. The Romans’ longest lasting and most far reaching contribution to the world was their language, Latin. How has Latin affected society since the end of the Roman Empire?

Possibly Related Posts:

6 thoughts on “Second infliction of pain and suffering – culture test #2

1. Reply Janice H Quinn Nov 27,2010 9:23 pm

Oh! Golly! Gee! Kind Prof Sir but where are the multiple guess questions? Then I could have just answered 'C' and gotten some of them correct.

2. Reply James Timothy Richardson Nov 27,2010 10:03 pm

3. Reply eljefe Nov 29,2010 12:03 am

These comments are from my Facebook Notes. I still have to import them manually.

Janice Quinn wrote: “Oh! Golly! Gee! Kind Prof Sir but where are the multiple guess questions? Then I could have just answered ‘C’ and gotten some of them correct.” (November 27, 2010)

James Timothy Richardson wrote: “I could answer a few of the questions. I would do a lot better if I re read some stuff. You covered the subject well. I would like to sit in on one of your lectures. Do you put on a good show?” (November 27, 2010)

4. Reply eljefe Nov 29,2010 3:09 am

No multiple choice question, because that allows them to guess instead of study. Also it’s too easy to cheat on MC tests. Besides, they’re a pain to write.

5. Reply John Wheaton Nov 29,2010 12:23 pm

Complete with Powerpoint slides. I try to limit the lectures to one class period (45 minutes), so we can discuss in the second period. I spent a lot of time on Greece and Rome, because they are so important to Western culture. We have just covered Judaism and Christianity, and will swoop into the Middle Ages next week. Whether I am engaging them is a different question. The language issue still prevents some from really understanding what I say first time around.No multiple choice question, because that allows them to guess instead of study. Also it's too easy to cheat on MC tests. Besides, they're a pain to write.

6. Reply Janice H Quinn Nov 29,2010 7:27 pm

A plus for essay questions is partial credit.